Friday, May 9, 2008

A Miracle and true rednecks

A miracle occurred today. My children were not the ones weeping and wailing in Wal-Mart. I had the first peaceful trip to Wal-Mart in over three months!!

Also, I saw some true rednecks in Wal-Mart. The mom had on a gray muscle shirt and blue plaid pajama pants rolled at the waist, with a pink scrunchie in her hair. She was pushing the food buggy (I know, the fact that I call it a buggy and not a shopping cart means that I have a little redneck in me, too). The dad was pushing the buggy with the babies in it. He had luxurious long, butt cut hair cut straight across at the bottom around the shoulder blades (by luxurious I mean it had an unclean shine). He had an old blue t-shirt tucked in to old jeans with no belt, and the kicker (no pun intended), rubber boots that came just below the knee. Though they were a bit unkempt, they seemed like good people. The man actually seemed like a pretty good dad. He was doing a good job with the two babies. I have to say, they had things under better control than I've had in the past. I just still can't help but laugh to myself when I see this type of apparel in the Denham Springs Wal-Mart, and I'm reminded that we might just be outnumbered by them out here.

P.S. Details from the Orlando trip coming soon. I have lots of house cleaning to get to right now :(

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a peaceful trip to Wal-Mart...I wish you more peaceful trips in the future.

    I bet that was one good looking family. :) Were the babies wearing only diapers, possibly held together with duct tape (yes, I've seen this before, back in Ferriday), with black- bottomed feet? Dirty faces? Ratty hair? Or were they just Rednecks, not trailer trash? It's a fine line.

    Good luck with the house cleaning. I should do some myself...so that when I come back in 2 weeks, I won't have to clean immediately. Maybe Daniel will clean and surprise me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's Denham Wal-Mart for ya. I've seen my share out there. Pensacola FL. Now they have got some rednecks at their wal-mart. I love how I can picture you telling me the story in person. I know exactly where you would pause and raise your eyebrows and which words you would choose to speak slowly to add emphasis. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are long time friends of the Bonnette Family. One of my kids saw your posting and thought it would be fun to see how everyone is doing. I am Sue Ross and my husband is Joe Ross. We just returned from living in Kuwait for 4.5 years. We are originally from Pasadena, TX. Please tell all the Bonnette Family hello from the Ross Family (Sue, Joe, Jenny, Kerry, Laney, Joe and Julie).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are soooo... out numbered out there. I promise. Trust me Markus is from Denham and he even hates their Walmart. I pick on him about LP all the time. I couldn't stop laughing at your post. It's so typical I guess that is the funny thing. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a peaceful trip to Wal-mart...only in my dreams. Actually, I just avoid the place. I'm willing to spend a few extra pennies to shop at the local grocery store where I can get in and out in one piece and QUICKLY.

    ReplyDelete