Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Eve calls en espanol, and nesting

Joel and I were actually home this year for Christmas. We spent Christmas eve night putting together a kitchen set. At one point, I was laying down, taking a rest, and the phone rang. I reached over to answer, and after I said hello, the person on the other end said, "Hola, buenos noches!" for some reason when this person said this, it didn't register that that was Spanish, I guess because those are such familiar words, and I was half asleep. Then he started with some sentences in Spanish. It really caught me off guard, so I just said, "sorry, you have the wrong number," and hung up. Well, I guess that that confused him because he called right back. I tried again, telling him that he had the wrong number, but I was awake enough now to know that he didn't understand, so I just hung up, and went into the front to help Joel out. I figured that this guy would get it, and give up. Not the case, I explained to Joel who was on the phone, and a little after explaining the phone rang again, so Joel went and turned the answering machine on. After he turned it on, we got about 4 or 5 more calls, each with a message in spanish. I told Joel that I was going to get the phone, and try to help them understand that they had the wrong number. The whole time I was trying desperately to remember some of the spanish that I had in high school and college, but it just wasn't coming to me. So, they of course called again after a few minutes, and I answered. I got the same, hola, buenos noches, and I explained, "no hablo espanol," I guess this confused the man, so he passed the phone to someone else, they gave me a line in spanish, and I replied with my line, they passed the phone again, and by the end I must have spoken with 4 of them. After I had talked to the fourth one, there was a weird noise and the connection was lost or they hung up. Either way, they didn't call back. On one hand, I felt bad that they were trying unsuccessfully to get in touch with someone, and on the other hand, their persistence was pretty funny.

I would post some Christmas photos here, but I don't have a single one. I used the video camera all day, and didn't get the camera out once :(

I had a normal 2 week check-up today with my doctor, and some strange things happened, maybe the planets aligned, I don't know what was going on. I see a doctor at the physicians tower at Woman's and this morning when I arrived for my 10:15 appt., I pulled into the very full parking lot, and someone was pulling out of the very first spot in the parking lot. I don't know if you have ever tried to park at Woman's, but it is almost as bad as LSU, I usually end up parking in the back of the extension of the parking lot that was added recently. I could not believe my eyes. I walked in, ready for the usual 5 min. wait for an elevator, and lo and behold, the elevator opened right up. I got upstairs to the desk, 15 min. early (I had built in this time for the parking and elevator). I figured I would be waiting in the waiting room at least the 15 min. and probably more like 30. Instead, I went to open the door, and Theresa, the nurse, was coming out, and she says, "I was coming to get you." I went right in, and waited just a few minutes for the doctor. He checked the usual, heartbeat, measurement, etc. asked if I had any questions, and that was it. I was done with my appt. before 10:15. I walked out, and again the elevators that usually take several minutes, opened right up. I made it out to the car by 10:20. It was very strange.

I have a little over a month to go before my due date, and I guess that that and the hormones were starting to get to me yesterday. My hormones have been particularly crazy this week; I have had some crazy mood swings. So yesterday, I was thinking about how little time we have before the baby comes, and I started to think of all of the things that we have left to get. I just felt this urgency to make sure that everything was ready for bringing home a new baby. I made a list so that I wouldn't forget anything, and so that I could start picking some things up while I'm out. Well I guess the combination of the list and crazy hormones were getting to me, because I could not get my mind settled to go to sleep. I had to discuss it all at length with Joel before I could go to sleep. He was probably thinking that I was crazy, but I really had to get that stuff out. I guess that he felt bad for me, because today I was IMing him at work, and he told me to go get a rocker (one of the items on my list, that I was most concerned about).


  1. Don't knock those urges to get things ready. I started having those with about a month left before Ainsly's due date, and she came the next week. If I hadn't gone all haywire and made David go out and get everything we wouldn't have had anything for her when she arrived!

  2. that is so sweet of joel to tell you to get that rocker, then again, maybe he just wants to sleep tonight:)
    i understand your feelings. i had to have all of jackson's clothes washed, a bag packed, and his bed made a few months before he came along.
    oh, and maybe the phone call is a sign that we should all learn spanish...or that the spanish should all learn english...